Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pechuga de Pollo!


Oddly enough, I wound up with hardly any Thanksgiving leftovers and found myself, early Friday morning, in an almost apocalyptically empty Food Town #11.

They had chicken breasts on special, which worked out really well for me since that's pretty much exactly what I went there to buy, along with everything else I normally get to make slow-cooked chicken tacos.

As it turned out, my slow-cooker was stuffed way back in my cabinet, and I'm really lazy, so I wound up adapting the recipe to the first pan I laid hands upon: a big saute pan.

Tacos de Pechuga de Pollo
  • 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 medium white onion, small dice
  • 2-4 jalapeno peppers, small dice
  • 3-6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 chicken breasts, ~ 1 lb.
  • 1 can Ro-Tel or store/off brand diced tomatoes with chiles OR 1 10 oz. can of diced tomatoes
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 pouch McCormick Regular or Hot Taco Seasoning
  • 20 corn tortillas
  • fresh white onion, diced
  • fresh cilantro, torn
  • your choice of salsa (you won't need it)
  • cheese (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion, jalapenos, and garlic and saute over medium-high heat until the onions are translucent. Add the canned tomatoes with their juice and the taco seasoning packet and 1/2 a packet full of water. Stir until combined. Add the chicken, stir, reduce heat, and cover.



Simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and slice thinly.

To serve, place diced onions, cilantro, and fresh jalapeno slices on warm corn tortillas and arrange slices of chicken breast atop. Pour a small spoonful of the pan sauce on top of the chicken and sprinkle additional white onions over the assembly. Serve immediately accompanied with lime wedges.

The nice thing about this recipe is that it makes its own salsa.







View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment